Monday, January 24, 2011

British Museum: Drawings from Picasso to Julie Mehretu, Rosetta Stone, Elgin Marbles

So, this was my second time at the British Museum. I went by myself because I planned on getting lost there anyway.
I saw the rosetta stone, it was neat. I saw the Elgin Marbles, they were also neat. I know both things are significant, but I'm definitely missing something as to why theyre so... idk. I'm not sensing the aura vibrations from them. I'm thinking that the aura has nothing to do with the actual work itself-- I think that it has something to do with a person's spiritual or intellectual wants, whether the person is consciously aware of it or not. If the work has anything to do with these wants, it is valuable. If it doesn't, its marked as bad art. And, I'm not saying im exempt from this, I generally like work better or think its better art when it pertains to what I want to do with my artistic career. Like craft arts, or props.

I spent the most of my time making visual notes from a Charles Seliger work in the Drawing show and exploring the Asian art sectors. I really got stuck on the Seliger work because it was so geometric and flat, but because of the color blocking and my crazy brain, I kept seeing it in all these 3 dimensional variations. It was fun to visually play with.
I also spent a lot of time in the exhibit that showed objects from all sorts of cultures focusing on how different cultures cope with fear, suffering, and death. A lot of shaman tools and ceremonial grave markers. In the center there was an installation made by a textile artist and a doctor that followed the lives of a man and a woman, and all the medications they took through out their lives. It was nuts. It made me feel a little sad though, thinking about the chemicals I have to depend on to function as well as everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment