Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Sleepy Impressions of the Tate Britain's exhibition of the Turner Prize

Sooo... I was a little bit exhausted after running on approximately 6 hours of sleep over 2 days. I can't quite say I appreciated anything I saw much. 

So.
1. Dexter Dalewood
I was mad bored. I mean, I'm not usually interested in post-modern painting or whatever it is, but I do like to give some time to the paintings. Something about these just irked me though. There were images I recognized from art history like Jasper Johns and Picasso. But I just visually jumped from portion to portion, without much interest. I figured that Dalewood just wanted to experiment and practice in the hand of other artists. I enjoyed the toddler-like scribbling in one of the paintings. But, I wasn't sure where Dalewood's hand was. Should it have mattered? But in the end, I just didn't really care, these paintings did nothing for me and seemed pretentious with all the history referencing and political bullshit concept. They seemed nice as paintings. But winning the Turner Prize? The award that defines upcoming art? It falls short for what I'm looking for.

2. Otolith Group
I didn't spend much time in this room because of the overwhelming noise of everyone in there. Fleeing a panic attack, I scooted out. 

3. Angela de la Cruz
I was dissappointed. I am slow to like minimalist works in general but I was so upset with these works. I understand the art theory behind it--violent agression towards the structure of painting, which was expressed through breaking the frame and reforming the canvas. But.. like whatever, concerning sculpture, you're saying more shit about mass and form. Which bores me immensely if I dont thing the process was interesting. And I dont--watching those nameless men handsawing wood and power drilling in random places seemed careless and uneducated. I expect high craft with high art. But it seems like low craft is the high art, and all the traditonal and ultra craft oriented pieces is what the low brow like better. 
I do think it's interesting though, thinking about whyyy they would choose to consider these works as important enough to be considered for Turner. What might that mean about contemporary culture? Concerning that we're still not done attacking painting tradition and reveling in minimalist aesthetic? The fact that these questions were brought up in class, spark and interest in de la Cruz's work. I will probably continue to think about her work in the days to come.

4. Susan Phillipz
This was my favorite because the immediate atmosphere was calm and somber. It was the only one I truly wanted to spend time with. I've never experienced sound art before, that I can remember. 

No comments:

Post a Comment