Friday, January 21, 2011

V & A and Glenn Adamson

On Monday Jan 10, we went to the V & A museum. I nearly wet my pants I was so excited. Right from the beginning, I knew this would be like… my thing. The wall on the front read, “The purpose of every art must consist in the complete accomplishment of its purpose.” Like YAUS this is what defines good art. I don’t care what the purpose of the art is, but if I feel like the art is coming short of it, I usually hate it.
Anyway, so I ended up spending 5 ½ hours there and I didn’t even see more than half of the museum. Apparently an entire walk through is roughly 7 miles, no wonder my legs actually hurt today.

We had an hour-long walk through tour with Glenn Adamson, this smart guy that wrote these essays about craft through history and especially the recent deconstruction in craft concerning sculpture and especially ceramics. I think it’s interesting that in order for ceramic to be considered a fine sculptural art that it has to drop all the craft and function.
We all were supposed to come up with a question to ask him, and I wanted to ask something along the lines of if he thought we were on the brink of a return to craft or not. He answered my question before I could ask them. He said that currently there is a trend in which people think old craft is fashionable and that the V&A is fashionable again. Also in his talk about post-modernism, he explained that the movement is so self-conscious about its own self-consciousness that it has a reached a dead-end in development. Its self-destructed too far.

The V&A is like exploding with stuff. The plastercast room was my favorite. It was fucking amazing. It was a crap ton of architectural and monumental replicas all shoved into 2 rooms. It sounds so cheesy but I was truly filled with wonder. Life felt magic. It was just so intense I can’t explain it.
The process of how they made them was fascinating as well. I hope someday I can get to that level.
Concerning questions of the aura… idk. These copies weren’t empty by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment