Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Globe Theater

After the Saatchi Gallery on the 6th, we made our way to the Globe Theater.
I was very into the entire thing- seeing history life-size almost.

What I liked the BEST though, was the prop exhibition downstairs. Because there was a plaster-fibre glass cast of a REAL tree. It was so fucking big. I was so. excited. Yeah, I'm lame. But this is my shit! Making fake trees! Anyway, I read thoroughly the process of the moldmaking and casting and I think I can replicate it myself! In fact, I really want to.

What I want to do is to make this kinda portions of tree bark out of acrylic plastic (pretty transparant). I want to make some kind of inscriptions on the underside of the them that the viewers have to flip over like shells to read and piece them together. I feel the work would engage with my plastic kinetic willow branch structures as well.

Later in the day Emily asked us what our favorite artwork of the day was. I said the giant fake tree of course. She laughed and said, "That's not art." Oh Emillyyyyy.

No comments:

Post a Comment