Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Serpentine Gallery

On Jan 6th, a Thursday, we went to the Serpentine Gallery. I enjoyed walking there in the light rain, taking pictures of trees, the waterbirds, smelling the mud and just feeling and humming along with the vibration of the earth.

I found Philippe Parreno's video work to be immediately and extremely fascinating. I usually am very bored by film art, and I normally don't take the time to sit down to view it. But Parreno's work appealed to the senses so strongly, by use of sound and the cinematic quality to his aesthetic. The sound guides, making the viewer's physical movement a part of the experience, rather than just the visual.
Also, at the end of one of his film, fake snow-made of soap- falls outside the window, as part of an installation. The snow is so lonely and so magic. It seems impossible to not be caught into the void of his energy.



I found his work to be really depressing though. I felt very sad and reclusive afterwards. Everything had to do with this "absence." The chanting of "No More Reality" particularly moved me, and I tend to think of it when I hear children in other contexts shouting or chanting. I know the pain of wishing to reject reality all too well, the innocence of childhood being crushed by sudden pain, and I dislike delving into Parreno's work for much longer after viewing it.
Without a doubt however, he has made one of the most beautiful collections of film art I've ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment